[parisc-linux] Kernel building

Tom tom@alaskatech.org
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 07:55:46 -0800 (AKDT)

I've been trying to get a newer kernel installed but am not having much
luck. Followed the directions on parisc-linux.org to build it, which have
worked fine, but for some reason the kernels refuse to boot. The palo
readme file says it should automagically boot when placed in the correct
location... My palo.conf had '2/vmlinux-2.4.0' as the boot kernel, which
I then changed to '2/vmlinux-2.4.9' (partition 2 is /boot once mounted),
ran palo (no errors, identified 2/vmlinux-2.4.9 as the new kernel),
rebooted - and I get the error that the system can't grok the kernel
executable format and then a 'failed to boot' message.

The earlier thread on whether or not 'make palo' was needed came to mind,
but since I was leaving it overnight to compile anyway I didn't care how
much time it took.

Got this same error a couple kernels ago (2.4.6?) and went back to 2.4.0,
since it wasn't really causing any problems. This is starting to get
irritating, though. The system is a 715/100, 128MB, 4.3G HD. Started as
0.9 and 'apt-get' upgraded to whatever's current now. I *did* have to
'apt-get install gcc', though - even though dselect said it was already
installed, the system couldn't find gcc, but the apt-get installed it as
if it wasn't there. Weird...

Anyway, any and all input appreciated!