[parisc-linux] Terminology

van de Werken, Matthew (DEM, PH) M.Vandewerken@cat.csiro.au
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:13:56 +1000

Hi folks:

I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me - it's not documented clearly
anywhere that I can find.

What's a Zalon? Is it an interface chip between the FW SCSI on some 700
series machines, or is it something else?

What's an Outfield? I know this is on a 735, but some places I've seen say
the 735 is a "hardball", while others list it as an "outfield". My
understanding was that Outfield is equivalent to Zalon, only different.

What's a LASI? and how does it relate to the above? (Actually, this one is
answered very nicely on the glossary page, but if someone can compare and
contrast to the above I'd be grateful.

Does anyone have any documentation that describes what these things are, and
more importantly how to talk to them? Particularly the "Outfield", since I'd
*really* like to use the FW SCSI on my 735, and it seems this is where I'm
falling over.

Matthew van de Werken
Electronics Engineer
CSIRO Exploration & Mining - Gravity Group
1 Technology Court - Pullenvale - Qld - 4069
ph:  (07) 3327 4685     fax:  (07) 3327 4455
email:  m.vandewerken@cat.csiro.au