[parisc-linux] HP 710 and miscellaneous questions ...

Brian Stewart pdksh@hotmail.com
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:57:06 -0400

You will find the HP710 is not going to work for you at this moment. The 710
has a ASP bus that has some problems with the interrupt controller (that is
the suspicion of the pa-risc linux group). I have been unsuccessful in
getting it to run. The network card stops working at boot and the scsi
driver will not detect any scsi devices.

I went one step further and created a large ramdisk (8-9 meg) and tried to
boot and run entirely in the ram disk. Init fails as soon as the kernel
passes control to it. I would recommend using mklinux for the time being,
there is a lot of interest in that machine but the documentation that is
needed to resolve the interrupt problem is not in the hands of the right
people. I would like to be optimistic and say in 6 months or so the pa-risc
linux gurus out there will have a fix.

mklinux:
ftp://ftp.cirr.com/pub/hppa/mklinux/
basically you d/l a disk image and the usr.tar, var.tar files and dd the
image to a hard drive on a second machine.

I hope this helps