[parisc-linux] Re: NFS root setup question

Grant Grundler grundler@puffin.external.hp.com
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:17:14 -0600

"Pete" wrote:
> I have a 715/64 that I'm trying to boot across the network.
> The hp box fails with an error on the console (I have a vga screen
> on the box):
>
> "ERROR: Cannot load IPL, error detected."
>
> Since this is my first time with nfsbooting it's likely I'm not doing
> something right there, ie, I don't have /etc/exports setup.. should I
> od this?

Yes. But you also need a *lifimage*.

I don't think matching lifimage's (matching the baseplus /boot/vmlinux)
where posted to the ftp site. I've posted a NFSROOT enabled lifimage for
a 32-bit/serial console (not STI enabled):
	ftp://puffin.external.hp.com/pub/parisc/binaries/lifimages/lifimage_32_serial_20010418.gz

Matching Systemp.map and vmlinux are in ../kernels directory.

For the 715's, append 'y' to the "boot lan y" in order to interactively
change the nfsroot= param (IP needs to point to the NFS server).
I don't recall if you need a different vmlinux embedded in the LIF or
if you can interactively tweak the palo boot params to use STI console
instead of serial.

grant

Grant Grundler
parisc-linux {PCI|IOMMU|SMP} hacker