[parisc-linux] xfree86 build problem

Grant Grundler grundler@puffin.external.hp.com
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 16:18:47 -0600

amodra@one.net.au wrote:
> > 2) c++ isn't returning the error reported by collect2
> >    Fortunately the build soon dies since the expected product
> >    doesn't exist. Known problem?
>
> Are you sure about this statement?  It might just be "make" (the presense
> of those `+'s is ringing bells with me but I don't recall the exact
> signifigance.)

I'm not. It might be a make bug.
I've seen make say something like "[ ... ignored ]" when ignoring an error.

Anyway, after spending another two hours on the -fPIC problem, I'm
starting to think the xfree86 lib build is broken by design for __hppa__.
I'll send out another mail with a patch + recipe for building the libs.
I'm pretty close to finding workarounds (not solutions) for the problems.

Do other arches allow non-PIC .o's to be linked into a .so lib?

Grant Grundler
parisc-linux {PCI|IOMMU|SMP} hacker
+1.408.447.7253