[parisc-linux] Booting 735/99

Matthew van de Werken mvdw73@one.net.au
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 22:28:27 +1000

Hi folks:

I have a 735/99, onto which I'd like to install hppa-linux. However, I don't
have any of the usual methods of installing software (I have no bootable
CD-ROM, no tape, no network (without linux - chicken and egg problem).

Hwever, I *do* have a SCSI disk and a linux-x86 box onto which I can mount
this disk temporarily. What I'd like to be able to do is to dump a disk
image onto this disk, then transfer it to the 735, and boot from there. Is
this possible? Is there a disk image somewhere I can use for this?

Alternatively, can I build a bootable disk manually on the SCSI disk from
the x86 box? If I do this, what do I need to do? I tried to do the
instructions on the "Installing PA-RISC Linux" page, however I couldn't
mount the "f0" type partition (for obvious reasons), even if I had known
what to put there once I had.

Any help greatly appreciated at this stage,

Cheers,
Matt van de Werken.