[parisc-linux] Building GDB - how exactly ?

Alan Modra alan@linuxcare.com.au
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:12:51 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Christoph Plattner wrote:

> What are the correct steps to build a working GDB for
>
> 1. HOST = i385-linux, TARGET = hppa-linux + gdbserver !
> 	(without server already success, but I am not shure, to have
> 	 done it correctly)

I haven't been building gdb for remote debugging, so I'm not sure how it
will go.  Should work, I think.

> 2. Native HPPA-LINUX gdb

I use the following to build a native gdb using a cross compiler from
x86-linux

/src/parisc/gdb/configure --build=i686-linux --host=hppa-linux
--target=hppa-linux --prefix=/usr --disable-shared --disable-nls

and the following to build natively

/src/parisc/gdb/configure --prefix=/usr --build=hppa-linux
--host=hppa-linux --target=hppa-linux --disable-nls

It's critical that you have up to date kernel header files available from
/usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm, **for a 32 bit kernel**
regardless of whether you're running a 32 bit or 64 bit kernel.  This will
probably change soon as the ptrace interface is likely to change.

--
Alan Modra