[parisc-linux] New kernel on 720 + Pa-Linux-0.5: Breakpoint ?

Christoph Plattner christoph.plattner@dot.at
Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:31:00 +0200

Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 09:08:23AM +0200, Christoph Plattner wrote:
> > > have you looked at all the followups to the esiee announcement noting
> > > the problems with it?  i suspect it's switching to STI console.
> >
> > Although I definitely write
> >
> >       console=ttyS0
> >
> > as kernel parameter ?
>
> yes.  they symlinked /dev/console to tty0 instead of leaving it as a
> char device.  the kernel can't help you out here, you have to change
> that symlink :-(
>
> --
> Revolutions do not require corporate support.

No, No !

This problem have I fixed in my tree !
I tried it with both, the correct one
	/dev/console = 5,1
and the hack !
	/dev/console -> /dev/ttyS0

Further I hacked in a test in the kernel. Before it starts `init' or
any other process, it tries to open the console (You know, the warning,
if this fail). After the open I write out a string using `write (1, )'
as check the return value. I see the string on the serial console !!
and return value is ok.

So the device `/dev/console' IS WORKING in my setup, but the rest is

Cheers
	Christoph P.

private:	christoph.plattner@dot.at
company:	christoph.plattner@alcatel.at