[parisc-linux] request_region()

Matthew Wilcox matthew@wil.cx
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 17:41:56 +0100

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 10:05:02AM +0100, Richard Hirst wrote:
> Yep, that make sense.  Does mean sim700.c will have to make runtime
> decisions whether to use raw_read (for the on-board 53c700) or inb
> (for one on an EISA card), on my 715, but that is no big deal.

i think sim700.c should be using ioremap / readX / writeX instead
of raw_read.  Is the EISA scsi really only accessible via port io?
I would have throught that it would be memory mapped, in which case
there's no need to have a macro to access it.

> EISA allocates 0x1000 bytes per slot, with a four (?) byte signature
> at offset 0xc80 (IIRC) to identify the cards.  At least, that is
> how my old Compaq works, with first slot at 0x1000.  Seems to tie
> up address-wise, at least:
>
> 10. Scorpio Sr. EISA BA (11) at 0xfc000000, versions 0x19, 0x0, 0x76, 0x0, 0x0
> 11. Unknown device (10) at 0xfc001000, versions 0x0, 0x0, 0xfff, 0x0, 0x0

That seems to indicate memory mapped IO...

> Again, IIRC, last time I played with the EISA slot on my 715 I
> found the EISA 53c700 couldn't access main memory, and EISA interrupts
> were not routed to the CPU.  The driver could access the chip registers
> though.  But that was all a long time ago, so things may be different
> now.

How BugFree(TM) do we think the Wax driver is?