[parisc-linux] request_region()

Richard Hirst rhirst@linuxcare.com
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 00:11:14 +0100

My 715/old, with a cvs head kernel, has no entries in /proc/ioports.
If I change our IO_SPACE_LIMIT in io.h from 0x00ffffff to 0xfffffff,
I get

apollo:~# cat /proc/ioports
f0800000-f08fffff : ASP
  f0800000-f0800013 : reserved
  f0800020-f0800020 : led_data
  f0824800-f0824802 : parport0
  f0826000-f0826010 : i82596
apollo:~#

(others won't see the i82596 entry, that is local to my tree)

So, normally they don't show up because their addresses are above
IO_SPACE_LIMIT, and luckily none of them check for error returns
from request_region().

I also have:

apollo:~# cat /proc/iomem
f0825100-f082513f : sim700

Should all that ASP related stuff be doing a request_mem_region()
so they show up in /proc/iomem rather than /proc/ioports?

If so, does that have implications for EISA devices which will appear
under ASP, where we might want to use exisiting drivers that do
request_region()?

from io.h:

/* IO Port space is :      BBiiii   where BB is HBA number. */
#define IO_SPACE_LIMIT 0x00ffffff

Richard