[parisc-linux] userspace function pointers in the kernel

Alan Modra alan@linuxcare.com.au
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:23:45 +1100 (EST)

On 12 Sep 2000, David Huggins-Daines wrote:

> Cary Coutant <cary@cup.hp.com> writes:
> > For Linux, I strongly recommend that the dynamic loader guarantee that
> > there is a 1-1 mapping between function and function pointer. If you do
> > this, you won't need this silly special case when comparing function
> > pointers.
>
> I agree that this is a valid goal.  Unfortunately I believe we are
> falling short of it at the moment and we'll have to make some fairly
> large changes to the toolchain.

David, I think this is the reason we do actually need your dynamic fptr
code, or at least something like it that can sort through plt entries.
Currently, plabels go through the plt whenever dynamic sections are
involved.  However, there is a problem in that we are duplicating plt
entries between the application and shared libs, and I can't think of a
way the linker can avoid this given that we have to deal with weak
symbols.

Alan Modra
--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.