[parisc-linux] Incompatibility of PIC and non-PIC

Cary Coutant cary@cup.hp.com
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:39:47 -0700

>Shared libraries work well, but we've got a bigger problem now.  Our
>PIC and non-PIC code models are mutually incompatible in a big way
>(due to the use of %r19 And, it seems, while it's fine if non-PIC
>can't be used in shared libraries, it's not all right if PIC can't be
>linked statically.
>For that matter how does 32-bit HP/UX solve this issue?

When the HP-UX linker is building an a.out, it converts any r19-relative
references into dp-relative references by rewriting the instructions. It
still creates a linkage table entry if necessary (i.e., it doesn't
rewrite a DLT-indirect reference as a direct dp-relative reference), but
the linkage table entries are accessed via the dp register instead of r19.