[parisc-linux] booting on 712/60

Helge Deller deller@gmx.de
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 23:36:44 +0200

Am Wednesday 18 October 2000 23:13 schrieb James Waterhouse:
> Hello Helge,
>
> Helge Deller wrote:

I'm
puffin.external.hp.com

> > number.
> > >
> > > Ah!  Actually that triggers my memory.  You *must* append
> > > 'console=tty' to the kernel command line in order to use sticon (or
> > > probably fbcon too for that matter), or else it will default to
> > > serial.
> > >
> > > Usually the PALO makefile handles this for you though.
> >
> > Yeah, that was the problem ! I just found it too !
> > (And you need to enable getty in /etc/inittab).
>
> So what did you do to get it to work? You gave 'console=tty' to the
> kernel command line? Where is it that you give the command line? Do you
> have to modify a make file or what? Or are you just running palo/palo
> with args as given in the palo doc? Which ramdisk did you have to modify
> inittab in?
>
> Jame

Hi James,

Here are some hints:

1. I'm using no ramdisk, but the nfsroot-20001009.tgz, which you can get from
ftp://puffin.external.hp.com/pub/parisc/binaries/nfsroot/
This has the great advantage, that you can modify all configuration files
without the need to build a new kernel for every change - but you will need
to setup one of your machines as nfs-server and export that directory.
More than that, the ramdisks on puffin.external.hp.com are mostly outdated !

2. Take a look at the documention in palo/Makefile.
There I modified the NFSROOT = 10.10.10.2 to
NFSROOT = 192.168.100.100:/tftpboot/nfsroot    with 192.168.100.100 as the
IP-address of my local nfs-server and the contents of nfsroot-20001009.tgz in
/tftpboot/nfsroot.

3. Follow the hints from Thomas Marteau (copied from his mail):

>cat /etc/inittab (! just the interesting thing!)
# /sbin/getty invocations for the runlevels.
#
# The "id" field MUST be the same as the last
# characters of the device (after "tty").
#
# Format:
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
#2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
#3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
#4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
#5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
#6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

>cat /etc/securetty
# /etc/securetty: list of terminals on which root is allowed to login.
# See securetty(5) and login(1).
ttyS0
tty1

Helge.