problems with binutils and/or g++

David Huggins-Daines dhd@linuxcare.com
18 Oct 2000 10:34:12 -0400

Randolph Chung <randolph@tausq.org> writes:

> Alan, for my curiosity, could you explain this particular line from g++'s
> output (from dhd's message)?
>
> ../build/obj/cmdline/apt-get.o(.gnu.linkonce.t.__tf10LogCleaner+0x1c):
> cannot handle R_PARISC_PCREL17F for pkgArchiveCleaner type_info function
>
> that seems to be causing the "undefined" symbol messages.

No, it's caused *by* the undefined symbol.  If a symbol is undefined,
it won't have a stub hash entry.  If it doesn't have a stub hash entry
and it is either in a shared library or out of branch range, then
relocations to it can't be handled.  Thus the error message.

The case where a symbol is defined, and yet is unreachable, results in
a different warning (should be an error, but for some reason it seemed
to be non-fatal last time I encountered it) message which tells you to
recompile with -ffunction-sections.

We might want to get rid of the 'cannot handle R_PARISC_FOO' messages
in the undefined symbol case, as they are evidently misleading.

--
dhd@linuxcare.com, http://www.linuxcare.com/
Linuxcare. Support for the revolution.