[parisc-linux] glibc 2.1.94 CVS merge, packages on the way, ABI breakage :(

David Huggins-Daines dhd@linuxcare.com
03 Oct 2000 21:23:43 -0400

Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com> writes:

> David Huggins-Daines <dhd@linuxcare.com> writes:
>
> > I take it that libc.so, libm.so, and ld.so should all be versioned
> > with GLIBC_2.2 as the base, then?
>
> Every single DSO.  There is no compatibility to be preserved.

Okay, yes, you're right.  Unfortunately we've built a bunch of
binaries against our broken libc, so it will all have to be rebuilt,
because all binaries expect to see GLIBC_2.0 and GLIBC_2.1 versions.

But I guess this is the right thing to do, since we really do not want
any of the compatibility cruft bloating our libc.

HP people note: Yes it looks like we have to rebuild everything.  I
think I can get things up again rather quickly, as I just need to
build a static toolchain and then relink all the packages that are
sitting around built on my A180.  We will have to clear out the
archive in pehc:/pub/debian-hppa though.

I am not very pleased with symbol versioning at the moment :(

--
dhd@linuxcare.com, http://www.linuxcare.com/
Linuxcare. Support for the revolution.