[parisc-linux] XFree status

Grant Grundler grundler@cup.hp.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:18:14 -0800

Alan Cox wrote:
> I have a server linked.

Alan - that's Cool! Wow!

> inb/inw/outb/outw and friends are right now null
> functions until I fill them in. Thats not a big deal. Initially I'll probably
> use /dev/port but for speed I hope everyone uses mmio based hardware.

All HP graphics for PARISC are memory mapped. Both "GSC" and PCI flavors.

But I'm pretty clueless how linux X server finds/talks to a frame buffer.
For HPUX, the graphics driver supports some ioctl()'s.
Any references to describe how it works for linux?

parisc-linux doesn't create kernel virtual addresses for MMIO.
Which interface is used to create user virtual addresses for MMIO?
(In general - not just for frame buffers)

Is the PCI address passed to user space?
I'm wondering if/how "bus_to_virt()" type translations take place.

sorry for the many questions...

grant

Grant Grundler
Unix Systems Enablement Lab