[parisc-linux] CVS linux Vs. -test10

Grant Grundler grundler@cup.hp.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:24:31 -0800

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> Someone (probably me) sends him a patch.  He told me at the Toronto
> show that he was quite happy to apply anything that only touched those
> two directories. (oh, and drivers/gsc wouldn't be a problem either).
> Can I just check that no-one wants to rename drivers/gsc again?  :-)

Hi Mathew,
I don't and it's a good question.
I would like a few files moved:

arch/parisc/kernel/ccio-dma.c    -> drivers/gsc/ccio-dma.c
arch/parisc/kernel/ccio-rm-dma.c -> drivers/gsc/ccio-rm-dma.c

    ccio will *always* be associated with a GSC bus since that's
    the secondary bus. And ccio supports devices below dino.c which
    already lives in drivers/gsc.

arch/parisc/kernel/lba_pci.c     -> drivers/ropes/lba_pci.c
arch/parisc/kernel/sba_iommu.c   -> drivers/ropes/sba_iommu.c
arch/parisc/kernel/iosapic.c     -> drivers/ropes/iosapic.c

    lba/sba code is equivalent to dino/ccio code for another set
    of platforms. And long term, I'm certain iosapic.c does not
    belong under arch/parisc. I can do this move if there are no
    major objections.

Any reason why we couldn't do these moves *after* you submit a patch?

FWIW, here are issues I see with merging IA64 iosapic code with mine:
o iosapic "discovery" (I invented register_iosapic() interface for parisc)
o parisc PDC calls (initialization)
o interrupt policy decisions (eg EOI generation and picking a CPU)
o I don't have time to do it in the near future.

Folks working on IA64 stuff inside HP need to think about:
(a) if they want to do the merge any time soon
(b) which iosapic.c they want to start with
(c) where the final version should live

thanks,
grant

Grant Grundler