[parisc-linux] Host for 712/60 compiles

Grant Grundler grundler@cup.hp.com
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 23:05:26 -0800

Sandy Harris wrote:
> A couple of us have 16 diskless 712/60s which we want to use for distributed
> processing on easily parallelized tasks like factoring and perhaps crypto
> cracking. A few questions arise.
>
> Is PARISC Linux far enough along to be useful for that? We need no monitor or
> console (except perhaps for initial debugging), no devices except ethernet,
> and expect to run only one process per machine, but we need stability.

It's not rock solid.  On 712's, it should be pretty good though.

> We'll need a host for cross-compiling. We have a 256 meg 715/100 with HP/UX
> which we expect to use as the host for booting, handing out chunks of work,
> storing results, etc. Should we compile there under HP/UX or would we get
> better tools on one of our Intel Linux boxes?

I don't think anyone has tried to cross-compile parisc-linux on an HPUX
host in quite a while.

> Or is PARISC Linux far enough along we should put it on the 715 and get
> native compilation?

AFAIK, all of the debian packages on the ISO image are built natively.
But using a dual P700 linux box would be alot faster. :^)

grant

Grant Grundler
Unix Systems Enablement Lab
+1.408.447.7253