[parisc-linux] glibc build fails / bash bug

Randolph Chung randolph@tausq.org
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 11:06:38 -0700

Bdale, taggart and I have been looking at trying to build glibc on hppa
from Debian's sources.  What we saw was that it looks like a lot of the
syscalls were not being reocognized as such by one part of the build, so
it tries to build things from the sysdeps/generic directory and fails.

After a lot of digging, I *think* what is at fault is actually bash. It
looks like during the build, a shell script (make-syscalls.sh) parses
through syscalls.list to generate syscall stubs that are needed for the
build to happen correctly, but these are not being generated. What it
boils down to, I think, is this:

(on hppa - bdale's J5K)
=============================
tausq@j5k:/space/tausq $ bash --version
GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (hppa-unknown-linux-gnu)
tausq@j5k:/space/tausq $ dpkg -l |grep bash
ii  bash           2.04-7         The GNU Bourne Again SHell
tausq@j5k:/space/tausq $ cat test.sh
#!/bin/sh

echo "1 2 3 4 5
a b c d e
" |
while read a b c d e; do
        echo $a $b $c $d $e
done
tausq@j5k:/space/tausq $ /bin/bash test.sh
1 2 3 4 5
=============================
(on other archs, tested with i386 and sparc)
samwise[11:06] ~% bash --version
GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (i386-pc-linux-gnu)
samwise[11:06] ~% dpkg -l |grep bash
ii  bash           2.04-7         The GNU Bourne Again SHell
samwise[11:06] ~% /bin/bash test.sh
1 2 3 4 5
a b c d e

This causes the parsing routines to die quite miserably....

Anyone feel like trying to fix this? :-)

randolph
--
   @..@                                         http://www.TauSq.org/
  (----)