[parisc-linux] 64-bit BUILD CHANGES

Paul Bame bame@noam.fc.hp.com
Tue, 07 Nov 2000 11:15:50 -0700

The described changes have just been committed to CVS.  If you have
an existing configured/built 64-bit parisc tree right now I think these
are the steps to update:

	Save your .config file
	do 'make distclean'
	do your cvs update
	restore your .config
	make oldconfig dep
	and then proceed as normal

	The symlinks come when you do a make {old}config and
	go with a 'make distclean' FYI

>>> You may want to start hand-editing .hdepend (following each make dep)
to remove the dependency of atomic.h on spinlock.h (just remove the first
line containing the string spinlock.h) -- it can cause massive
unnecessary rebuilds.  It's due to a parisc-specific circular dependency  :-(

		-P

= I want to propose/discuss a new method for maintaining our 64-bit parisc
= tree in relation to the 32-bit tree.  I have prototyped this and so
= far it seems pretty useful.
=
= Most of the files in the current parisc64 tree only contain one
= line, a #include of the same file from the parisc tree.  This confuses
= 'make dep', causes some compile errors to have nonsense line numbers,
= and doesn't allow direct editing of the source files in the parisc64 tree.
=
= The method I'm proposing works like this:
=
= The future parisc64 tree ONLY contains files which are different from,
= or in addition to, those in the parisc tree.  When you 'make config'
= or 'make oldconfig', each file in the parsic tree is symbolically
= linked as the same file in the parisc64 tree.  This enables all
= the rest of the tools/build to work normally.  'make distclean' includes
= a step to remove all the symlinks.
=
= The ugliest "feature" is that even though you can edit source files
= in the parisc64 tree, 'cvs commit' will fail on those which are
= symbolic links.  To reduce this problem, I'm dropping a symbolic link
= called '...' in each parisc64 directory which is a pointer to the
= corresponding parisc directory, so 'cd ...; cvs commit foo.c' will
= work and not be too onerous.
=
= We should additionally consider a naming convention or something so
= that maintainers in the parisc tree know whether files are shared with
= parisc64 or not.
=
= I prototyped this as a fictional new "architecture" called "p64".  To
= try it out, grab the tarball (only about 30 files -- can be fewer)
= ftp://puffin.external.hp.com/pub/parisc/
= and unpack in your top-level linux source tree directory.  Then in
= your top-level Makefile, change ARCH := parisc64 to ARCH := p64, then
= make oldconfig or whatever you usually do.  Let me know of any problems.
=
= Is this something we should adopt for the real parisc64 tree?
=
= 	-Paul Bame
=