Elf Header change proposal

John Marvin jsm@udlkern.fc.hp.com
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 02:37:58 -0700 (MST)

Paul and Alan pointed out that I goofed. I analyzed the vmlinux in my 64
bit build area to get the current flags, but it turns out that the vmlinux
I looked at was a 32 bit version. I had recently made some 64 bit checkins,
and I like to rebuild everything for 32 bit before doing that, to make
sure that I haven't broken the 32 bit path by making 64 bit changes.

So, the bad news is that I wasted time writing an unecessarily long
design proposal. The good news is that the only thing that needs to
change is value in the e_ident[EI_OSABI] field, so that we can
differentiate 64 bit HP-UX binaries from 64 bit Linux binaries.
We should also change the field for 32 bit Linux also.

John