[parisc-linux] New binutils available from cvs

Grant Grundler grundler@cup.hp.com
Thu, 18 May 2000 09:19:25 -0700

Philipp Rumpf wrote:
> > b) is inconsistent with existing hp assembler.
>
> Your point ?

I think Alan meant it breaks with existing GNU toolchain for parisc.

And even if he didn't, asking people to change assembler files
for "internal" reasons (glibc/whatever) seems like an extra hurdle
that just doesn't have to be. I'd like to make it easier for people
to migrate from HP-UX (OpenBSD/FreeBSD/mklinux/whatever) to parisc-linux.

> All in all even _if_ you have a reason to change it back it could have used
> some discussion.  So far you haven't.

Alan has.  But no one replied publicly. See
http://puffin.external.hp.com/mailing-lists/parisc-linux/2000/05-May/0038.html

Paul Bame and I both replied privately that he should go ahead
and make the change. So you can blame us if you like. :^)

> Any idea which illegal drug the person who decided "!=" was the fp not
> equal condition code was on ;) ?

No...but I suspect the FP was developed *seperately* from the PA-RISC CPU.
Don't need drugs to get divergence - it's almost guaranteed to happen
one way or another.

> > Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.
>
> And it's just in historical spirit that those actually supporting the
> revolution lose their jobs ... (yes, I think the signature is quite
> inconsiderate.)

Without companies *like* Linuxcare, linux wouldn't have a rat's ass
chance in the business world. I think the signature is quite accurate.
And anyone with even 1% clue about linux is certainly not having
employment problems right now.  (I'm proof of that! :^)

grant

Grant Grundler
Unix Development Lab
+1.408.447.7253