[parisc-linux] Couple of questions

Peter A. Peterson II pedro@flynn.zork.net
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:10:46 -0600

Quoting willy@thepuffingroup.com:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 11:02:20AM +0200, Corne Beerse wrote:
> > btw, if I reply to messages received trouth parisc-linux@thepuffingroup.com,
> > it replies only to the originator, not to the puffin list. Other maillists
> > generate a Reply-to: header line with the maillist address. Can this be
> > added to the puffin headers too? Or are there reasons not to do it?
>
> The current behaviour is correct.  If you want to reply to the person
> sending the message privately, you reply; if you want to reply to the
> list, you reply to all (possibly trimming the cc list as appropriate).
> With the reply-to header, there is no way to accomplish this.  I'm sure
> I've seen more than one `Considered Harmful' document on this subject.

'Reply-to Munging' is, I believe, the proper term for 'reply'
being header-forced to operate as 'reply-to-all'.

The Goodness of reply-to and reply-to-all being separate will become
clear with time, when after some period here, you go back to another
list and accidentally send a extremely personal message to *everyone*.

Speaking as one who has sent such messages,

Peter

PS: I just got an HP-9000 E45... soon to be a Linux box!