[parisc-linux] Couple of questions

davisg@Celestica.com davisg@Celestica.com
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 12:11:37 -0500

Greetings,

Phi wrote:

> > There is no TOC button available on the Model 712. A special debug card is
> > used by HP hardware and OS developers for TOC among other things on this
> > platform.
>
> Not sure about it, but I think that pushing the white button 3 time, i.e from
> ON state going OFF/ON/OFF (may be more don't remember) does trig a TOC, and
> this is High prio, i.e for dump capable OS, this mean post mortem dump
> analysis due to a hang possible (i.e what I like :-)

Ooops, I stand corrected, the power switch (used in this manner while running
HP-UX) can indeed be
used to trigger a TOC. However, I still assert that the power switch itself
cannot be directly used to
generate a TOC. Refer to the "lasi_ers.ps" on or about page 78. There is a
diagram which describes
the power switch control circuit. As described in this diagram and elsewhere in
this document, the power
switch generates a power fail interrupt to the CPU only. The hardware itself
cannot directly trigger a TOC
on the Model 712. But, apparently, you can cause a TOC on the Model 712 (while
running HP-UX) by
toggling the power switch a few times. I've tried, it works, I'll be damned, I
didn't know that.

Thanks for the insight!    :  )

Regards,
Geoge G. Davis
Software Engineer,  Celestica Chelmsford Design Center
20 Alpha Road
Chelmsford, MA 01824