[parisc-linux] Couple of questions

Corne Beerse beerse@ats.nld.alcatel.nl
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:20:39 +0200

Philipp Rumpf wrote:

> > Just a slight clarification on what TOC does. Although on the surface the
> > Transfer-Of-Control button/switch merely appears to result in a system
> > reset, its primary use is to recover from system hang conditions while
> > preserving the machine state for later analysis, i.e. where and why was
> > the sytem hung.
> >
> > So, in summary, although TOC on the surface appears to merely 'reset' the
> > system, it is capable of much more provided the OS specifies an OS_TOC
> > entry point for recovery and debug of machine state at any point during
> > system run time.
>
> Actually, that's exactly what reset does on (most) x86 boxes.  Remember
> getting 286s out of protected mode by resetting them ?
>
> I'm not convinced having customized TOC / HPMC handlers for Linux/PA-RISC
> is a good idea yet.

As I read this, the TOC button can have the next implementations:
- hardware reset, as the button on intel platforms
- Boot prom prompt (if available, like Sun's <Stop><A>)
- Kernel core dump and [stop|halt|reboot|continue|shutdown]
- What does HPUX with it?
a combination of the above.

The main reason for this button is a kernel debugging aid. Not that I'm a
kernel hacker, I follow this group out of interest.

BTW, Where can I find this TOC button on my 9000/712/60 machine? is it the
white button on the front? If so, please give some software control to it.
In the past, I frequently pushed my keyboard against it, rebooting the
machine while typing......

CB

--
Everything should be as simple as possible but not simpler - A. Einstein
Corne' Beerse					| Alcatel Telecom Nederland