[parisc-linux] Trouble booting 712/80

Grant Grundler grundler@cup.hp.com
Fri, 03 Mar 2000 09:48:20 -0800

"Rajiv Dighe" wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     HP newbie here. I just acquired a 712/80 with 96mb ram & 1gb hdd. I am
> looking forward to helping with linux port effort as soon as I can get HP/UX
> 10.20 installed on this darn machine. so far it refuses t o boot from
> cd-rom. cd-rom is seen as a result of search command issued at boot-admin
> prompt but 'boot scsi.5' just returns me back to boot_admin promt after
> about 5 seconds. boot rom version is 1.6. All I know is that this machine
> was set for netbooting. any ideas?

Two things:
1) If you are planning on cold installing the box, I'd reccomend HP-UX
   11.x (preferably 9910 release) as that's what the tool chains are
   being tested with. 10.20 should work too but you know....

2) iirc, The latest rev of 712 firmware is v2.3.
   Can some other HP person comment on if we can post the upgrade
   tools on the web for 712/715/et al?
   (The risk is someone will blow away their firmware with an image
   for the wrong box and blame HP).

grant

Grant Grundler
Unix Development Lab