[parisc-linux] nfsroot howto

Grant Grundler grundler@cup.hp.com
Wed, 01 Mar 2000 13:28:42 -0800

One more update for HP-UX impaired folks (like me)

"Martin K. Petersen" wrote:
> Unpack the nfsroot tarball in /tftpboot and rename the unpacked
> directory (mybox) to the hostname of your box.

[ Just a reminder to find my previous update regarding HP-UX
  vs linux mknod. I still don't know for sure what I posted
  is correct. ]

> Make sure both bootps and tftp are enabled in /etc/inetd.conf.
>
> Edit your /etc/exports to contain a line like this:
>
> 	/tftpboot/mybox		mybox(rw,no_root_squash)
>
> Again, replace mybox with your hostname.
>
> Restart inetd and nfs services if you made any modifications.

Here's the /etc/exports contents on my HP-UX NFS server:
/tftpboot/turin         -rw=turin,root=turin

where "turin" is the nfsroot client. turin has an entry in /etc/hosts.

Then as root, "exportfs -av" will actually export those file systems.
When rebooting the nfs server, this will automatically be done.

and when I booted the parisc-linux workstation (turin=15.8.80.75):

Sending BOOTP requests.... OK
IP-Config: Got BOOTP answer from 15.8.80.76, my address is 15.8.80.7515.8.80.75

One problem less.

later,
grant

Grant Grundler