[parisc-linux] new binutils/gcc

Paul Bame bame@endor.fc.hp.com
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 16:06:35 -0700

=
= There is, in fact, a relationship there.  r8 isn't set properly at any
= time, it's kludged.  r8 needs to be set to
= (load addr of .text) & 0xfff00000.   Basically this is used as a pointer
= to the stub table for long branching.  (so, it should be a jump to
= 0xc010049c, which ought to be a stub for start_parisc())

Don't "be" branches cause a pipeline flush?  It might be faster to
do two "bl" branches instead?

= Yeah, it's kinda ugly...  the linker and crt0.S both need to be
= taught about this too.

Ok, I fixed head.S and interruption.S.  After hacking on vmlinux.lds
and a couple small other things, the elf kernel boots to the point
where I need a ramdisk or NFS root to go further, so that's my plan.
Sources are in CVS with the ELF_BRANCH tag.

Things to do:

    The init_task_union alignment is in both vmlinux.lds and
    is known by setup.c and #defined yet another place.  This ought
    to be cleaned up if possible.

    The init_task_union printf in setup.c should be fixed.

    It's probably time to start using the __setup stuff we hacked
    around for SOM.

    Fix 'make Image' or nuke it.  'make palo' works (for me anyway)

    Sammy said, and I didn't touch these (though others have in the
    main line):

	I guarantee that launching som/elf binaries won't work.  page faulting
	looks messed up somewhere.

	execve() might not work in this one..   I played with the assembler for
	it, but good things never happened, so no changes included.

			-Paul Bame