[parisc-linux] untested but building 64-bit toolchain, issues/questions

David Huggins-Daines dhd@linuxcare.com
06 Jul 2000 10:14:28 -0400

Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com> writes:

> 64bit is hppa64-*-*.
>
> We do _not_ want to ever default the tools to 64bit due to the significant
> code generation penalties that involves.
>
> Thus we can not key 64bit generation on the strings returned by config.guess.

Yes, but I thought that 'hppa2.0w' means 64 bit by definition, so it
strikes me that the problem is with config.guess returning this.

> This was discussed on the gcc, gdb, binutils, and autoconf development
> lists.

Can you provide a subject: line to search on or a URL?  I can't find
any definitive statements on the semantics of config.guess nor the
proper configuration for 64-bit PA-RISC in the archives.

> I'm not aware of a technical reason why this will not work in the assembler;
> there are *major* problems trying to make this work with the compiler.  Feel

Yes, I'm aware of that :) I was hoping to follow the Sparc model where
the compiler is configured to pass the appropriate flags to the
assembler.

> free to try and merge them.

It turns out this isn't a big priority at the moment since we'd prefer
not to break the existing HP/UX support, but if it turns out to be
easy I might.

--
dhd@linuxcare.com, http://www.linuxcare.com/
Linuxcare. Support for the revolution.