[parisc-linux] 2.3 whining

Tor Arntsen tor@spacetec.no
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 21:42:54 +0100

I'll leave the rest of the CVS discussions to you guys, however:

On Jun 5, 12:25, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>Those $Log$ comments are a really bad idea, btw.  They grow too long
>and contain too much irrelevant crap.  If you want to write a comment,
>add it manually.

This point cannot be stressed enough. $Log$ is an *extremely* bad idea
if you use CVS (it was an ok feature for RCS).  Among other things it makes
merges between CVS branches a nightmare: whenever you merge you will get a
conflict in the $Log$ entries which has to be fixed manually, then you
commit the fixed file, which adds *another* $Log$ entry etc.
You will have to manually edit *every single changed file* when you merge,
you lose CVS's otherwise quite good merging capabilities.

It's a good idea to remove any trace of $Log$ whenever you find one
in a file.  It will raise its ugly head again in the next merge but
eventually you'll get rid of them.

-Tor