[parisc-linux] Thanks...alot

Mark Wild M_Wild@tunstall.co.uk
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 09:03:19 -0000

No, it just repeatedly produces that message.

>  If not,
> I'd suggest that either /bin/sh is missing, or HP-UX doesn't
> agree with the hardware about where the console is, and the
> shell is always getting an EOF when it tries to read the
> console.

It manages to boot into multi-user mode OK.

> 	At this point, I'd be more towards a missing shell.

I inherited the machine from my University as it was surplus
to requirements due to upgrading. Could it be possible that
the sysadmins have deliberately done this to prevent inquisitive
students ?

> 	From your boot command line, it sounds like the box is
> running 9.0x.  Is this true?

Yes, 9.01.

> 	FYI: 10.20 may still be available for free under HP's Y2K
> upgrade program.  I ordered the 10.20 Y2K OS kit on the 30th.  I
> haven't seen it yet, but that's another kettle..  Visit
> http://www.hp.com/visualize/programs/y2k/y2k_menu/y2k_upgr/oskit.html
> for more details.

I have the upgrade media (P/N B7989AA) but it doesn't seem to
contain anything for a cold install, just patches for 9.x to 10.20
although from previous posts I see some people claim to have done this.

Who did you contact regarding the above link?

> - Any suggestions as to what I can do to get root ?
>
> 	At this point, you probably need to boot off of the
> installation media, and try to replace what appears to be a
> missing shell.

Hmm, looks like I'm snookered then ...

Thanks,

Mark Wild.