[parisc-linux] HP-UX application support?

willy@thepuffingroup.com willy@thepuffingroup.com
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 18:04:12 -0500

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 02:47:45PM -0800, FINK,MARTIN HP-FtCollins,ex1" wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 02:14:17PM -0700, MEYER,ALAN C.
> > HP-FtCollins,ex1" wrote:
> > > I have heard several descriptions of what will be supported
> > for HP-UX
> > > applications on 64-bit PA/Linux.
> > >
> > > Can someone plz clarify what will be supported:
> > > * 64-bit/ELF HP-UX applications
> > > * 32-bit/SOM HP-UX applications
> >
> > We intend to support both of the above; in addition we also intend to
> > support 32 bit ELF Linux applications and, eventually, 64 bit
> > ELF Linux
> > applications.  In case anyone didn't realise it, the current
> > executables
>
> I assume you're referring to 32-bit and 64-bit Intel Linux apps
> recompiled for PA/Linux?

I'm referring to applications which are written to the Linux APIs compiled
for either 32 or 64 bit PARISC/Linux/ELF.  I'm reluctant to describe
them as `Intel Linux apps', since they probably run on many other CPU /
OS combinations.  GNOME would be a great example here since it can be
built for many different platforms (including HP/UX, I believe), but most
of its users are probably on the IA32 + Linux platform.  There should
be no substantial differences between the user API between Linux running
on different CPUs.

Pedantry aside, the answer to the question you asked is, `Yes'  :-)