[parisc-linux] Linux syscall ABI

willy@thepuffingroup.com willy@thepuffingroup.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 01:15:11 -0500

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 10:36:39PM -0700, John Marvin wrote:
> > No, we don't.  We're talking about PER_LINUX binaries here, and those
> > never expected to be able to dereference NULL pointers.
>
> I don't know much about PER_SVR4, and why it exists.  Willy pointed it
> out to me.  I can see from the kernel source that perhaps it is only there
> for sparc.  If it is not necessary for parisc-linux to support then
> there is no issue. If it is necessary then I guess I assumed that PER_SVR4
> binaries would use the same gateway page as PER_LINUX binaries.

Linux has a personality() syscall which tells the kernel what operating
system this binary was compiled for.  PER_SVR4 means that this binary
was compiled for SVR4.  We _may_ want to include a PER_HPUX at some
point, but i'm not convinced we need it yet.  I pointed you at that bit
of code to show you that for some binaries Linux did that nasty hack,
rather than to advocate we do it too.