[parisc-linux] Building the PA-RISC 2.0 kernel with the GCC tool chain

Ullas Ponnadi uponnadi@cup.hp.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:18:57 -0800

John Curry and myself have been looking at the PA-RISC 2.0 Port. Here are
some things that I have tried using the latest GCC tool chain.

- I have been able to build an ELF-64 binary using the tool chain. The tools
that
  I have used are:
        - gcc version 2.9-hppa-991112
        - GNU ld version 2.9-hppa-991112 (with BFD 2.9-hppa-991112)
        - GNU Make version 3.77

- I have used a bare bone kernel for the build.

- Most of the assembly files are stubbed out since the assembler directives and
in
  some cases, assembly tricks do not work on the 64 bit architecture.

- The purpose of the build was to test the tool chain and deal with any 64 bit
issues,
   so no tests have been done:-).

Hope this information is useful for anyone trying to work on a PA-RISC 2.0
Port.

Ullas