[parisc-linux] performance

Alan Cox alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 16:50:18 +0000 (GMT)

> Given only a handful of people know the PARISC CPU/TLB as well as jsm,
> and I (re)wrote the HPUX PCI code, I suggest long term performance
> gains will be found in linux VM/PM (and other "architected" stuff like
> atomic operations - which will always suck on parisc) and drivers.
> (My definition of drivers includes networking stack and NIC device drivers).
> Short term goal is to optimize existing parisc-specific code around
> existing architecture.

Much of the work Ingo and others did concentrated on the eepro100 driver
internals down to removing every pci stall, doing irq affinity and doing small
optimisations on the networking stack.

So I'd say your suggestion matches what happened on x86 too. The atomic stuff
is trickier. Linux is designed to optimal on the common high performance
hardware and right now the design therefore focuses on ia32 at the cost
sometimes of other systems.

Alan