[parisc-linux] trouble booting from palinux-0.5.iso on 712/80

Matthew Wilcox matthew@wil.cx
Sat, 23 Dec 2000 15:49:51 +0000

On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 04:14:15PM +0100, Jens Trzaska wrote:
> Hello!
> Since yesterday i'm the owner of a HP 712/80 and i've searched along
> the net to find an OS which is able to run on this box. When i found
> palinux i downloaded the palinux-0.5.iso. But the booting process
> doesn't seem to be successful. In the readme it says that i should
> get a login prompt...but i don't get the prompt. The system stops
> when saying:
> "Switching from PDC console"

This ought to be, but isn't, in the FAQ.  Could someone who knows more about
the 0.5 CD-ROM than I do write up the answer for the FAQ?

Basically, your kernel is using the wrong console device.  try editing the
command line to specify `console=tty0'.