[parisc-linux] configuration problems with cvs from 20001216 15:40 CET

Matthew Wilcox matthew@wil.cx
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 13:30:20 +0000

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 11:39:34PM +0100, Karsten Merker wrote:
> It seems the "console=ttyS0" is the reason for the crash. To be sure, I
> have taken a fresh kernel tree (checkout from today) and compiled the
> kernel with the default configuration. It worked...

specifying `console=ttyS0' before the checkin i recently did would
definitely have caused exactly that crash.  it was trying to do an outb
because the serial driver wasn't properly configured.  since no 715 has
PCI, outb crashed & burned.

> The only difference to a working kernel is the additional kernel
> parameter. What I find strange in this case is the fact that giving
> "console=ttyS0" is mandatory on other systems - e.g. Linux/MIPS on a
> DECstation does not give you anything on the serial port unless you
> specify console=ttySx, even if serial console is the only option because
> no other console driver is compiled into the kernel.

Yeah, this is because our console handling code was on crack.  It should
work now...