[parisc-linux] (still) booting problems with HP9000/730

M. Grabert xam@deathsdoor.com
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 02:11:00 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Richard Hirst wrote:

> The following is from my 715/75, where the scsi driver works.  As Alex
> said, the scsi driver has a problem on your machine, but not all the
> messages indicate real problems.  At one time I had a cdrom attached
> which didn't respond well to requests for synchronous working, and the
> driver couldn't cope.
>
> What devices do you have on your scsi bus?  Can you disconnect
> everything except the Quantum HD as a test?

nothing except the harddisk! even the scsi-floppy is NOT connected

> You can try booting with
>
> 	sim700=nodisc:0xff

done that, didn't work

> in case it is a problem with disconnect/reselect, and you could
> try
>
> 	sim700=nodisc:0xff,noneg:0xff
>
> in case it is a probem with sync/async negotiation.

also done that, didn't work either ... the same problem as before :((((
the kernel recognizes the harddisk, then is clears the screen,
and tries to boot from /dev/sda3 (correct partition! otherwise it
would print VFS: unable to mount root partition (verified that)).
But then it runs into infinite loop of stack traces ...

sorry that i cannot provide a boot log :((((

greetings max