[parisc-linux] linker magic

Alan Modra alan@linuxcare.com.au
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 21:53:35 +1100 (EST)

I've just committed a binutils change that should mean we can build glibc
(and other large shared libs) that happen to use a "ld -r" link stage
without needing to resort to gcc -ffunction-sections.  Previously, a
"ld -r" would combine all input .text sections into one output section,
which, if the library was large enough, would mean that branches couldn't
reach their long-branch or import stubs.  Now the linker will refuse to
combine .text during a "ld -r".  This is done without altering the default
linker scripts, so should be effective even with packages that provide
their own linker scripts.

At the moment, there's no way to turn it off...  Let me know how it goes.

Alan Modra
--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.