[parisc-linux] XFree status

Grant Grundler grundler@cup.hp.com
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:40:10 -0800

Alan Cox wrote:
> For I/O it seems that on things like the A180 the only way to do it is to use
> /dev/port and pread/pwrite the file handle for each port I/O.

Alan,
Why do you think only I/O port space can be used for XFree86?
Is the BIOS/x86 emulator wanting to talk to VGA registers the issue?

jsm tells me VGA MMIO lives at 0xA0000.
Dino only forwards 0xf0800000 through FF80_0000-1 to the PCI bus below.
(See section 7.9 "Accessing PCI Memory Space" in dino3.pdf).

jsm pointed out VGA MMIO is available on Astro/Ike chip sets.
I'm pretty sure this feature isn't used under HPUX.
Requires poking Astro to enable it.

grant

Grant Grundler
Unix Systems Enablement Lab