[parisc-linux] Updated hardware FAQ

Alex deVries adevries@linuxcare.com
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:28:17 -0500

--------------C7348040B7823DD93898930E

The most often asked question on this list is "Will my XXX machine run
Linux?"

I'm trying to come up with a dead-simple list of what does and does not
run.  The idea is that people will so easily be able to find the
information that they won't ask on the mailing list.

So, can people have a look over the attached HTML text, and fill in any
blanks? I know I have incorrect and missing information, so please help.

If you happen to have bootlogs kicking around, I'll collect those too.
That'll help with integrating this all into the hardware database,
although that's a larger and future project.

Please mail the responses back to me <alex@linuxcare.com> and Martin
Hicks <mhicks@linuxcare.com> so we can update the pages.  Please don't
flood this list with tiny updates.

When we have another draft of this, we'll pass it by the mailing list
again.

- Alex

--
Alex deVries, Principal Solutions Architect, The Puffins at Linuxcare
613.562.2759 tel

Will my PA-RISC Machine Run Linux?

This is the most asked question on the parisc-linux mailing list, and you should look here first for information before asking questions.

How do I figure out if my machine will run Linux?

Check out the following list and try and find your machine in it.

If your machine isn't listed, then:
a) See if it exists in the Hardware Database, if it does not, mail the mailing list
b) Try booting it with Linux, and report back to the mailing list so we can update this data.

32-Bit Machines

These all have 32-bit processors and 32-bit IO subsystems, and will only run a 32-bit Linux kernel.

First, here's a list of totally unsupported machines: E25, E45, E55, F10, G40, H20, H50, I70, T500, T600.  All these machines contain proprietary busses, and there is no available documentation for us to get them running.

Model Name Boots Parallel Network SCSI Serial Keyboard
705, 710 Flounder and Bushmaster ?
720, 730 Cobra Yes Broken Yes
725/100 Electra ?
725/50 Spectra ?
712/60, 712/80, 712/80I,  712/100 Gecko Yes Yes
715/33, 715/50, 715/75 Old 715s, Scorpio Yes[*] Yes
715/64, 715/80, 715/100 New 715s, Mirage Yes Yes ?
A180, A180C Staccato Yes Yes Yes Yes N/A
B180L Merlin Yes Yes Yes Yes ?
B132L Merlin Yes Yes Yes Yes ?
735/125 Outfield  Yes
C100, C110 Raven T' ?
D200, D220 UL350 ?
D310, D330, D350, D370 ?
J200, J210, J210XC Skyhawk ?

[*] Note that network booting on older machines is done through rbootd, not the usual bootp/tftp mechanism.

64-bit capable machines

Right now, run a 32-bit Linux kernel on these.

C160, C160L, C180, C180XP, Raven U
C200+, C240+, Raven+
D270, D280, D370, D380, D390, R380, R390 UL 550
K260, K360, K370
K380 Mohawk
K460, KittyHawk
J282

64-bit Only Machines

The following machines will not yet run Linux because they require a 64-bit Linux kernel that doesn't yet work.  Patience!

A500
C3000, C3600 Allegro
J2240 SummitHawk
J5000 Forte