[parisc-linux] XFree status

Grant Grundler grundler@cup.hp.com
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:56:46 -0800

Alan Cox wrote:
> > All HP graphics for PARISC are memory mapped. Both "GSC" and PCI flavors.
>
> Yes, but if I want to say put an S3 Trio64 in my A180 and a USB card for
> keyboard mouse..,, (and yes these are sitting on my desk)

As long as everyone plays nicely on the PCI bus, it should work.
I would expect it too.

> The OS specific X code in XFree86 knows several ways to talk to Linux

Thanks for the explanation!

> For I/O it seems that on things like the A180 the only way to do it is to use
> /dev/port and pread/pwrite the file handle for each port I/O.
> This is slow but hopefully primarily used for booting the card

I/O port space is *really* slow under Dino. The problem is two writes
are needed to generate the I/O port transaction and since they must be
atomic - spin_lock_irqsave() is invoked around it. HPUX fundementally
does NOT use I/O port space for anything that is performance sensitive.

> (XFree 4.0 has a X86 emulator for booting the BIOS firmware on PCI cards)

And is this emulator running under parisc-linux now? (!)

thanks again,
grant

Grant Grundler
Unix Systems Enablement Lab