[parisc-linux] hppa .reg

Alan Modra alan@linuxcare.com.au
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 20:41:02 +1000 (EST)

Hi,
   I've just spent a bit of time modifying tc-hppa.c:pa_parse_number and
sundry places where it's called to allow:

pte: .reg %r16
 depd    pte,31,32,pte

Previously, gas would barf on lack of a `%' followed by one of the
predefined regs for any FLAG_STRICT insn like the above `depd'.

All well and good, but my patch puts these register alias symbols into
reg_section, the natural place for them to go, and this happens to kill
one of the hppa tests.  gas/testsuite/gas/hppa/parse/regpopbug.s is like
this:
 --------
        .code

r0:     .reg    %r0
shift:  .reg    %sar
fpreg10: .reg   %fr10
shift2: .reg    shift

; Make sure we didn't botch .equ...
yabba:  .equ    r0 + shift
 ---------

and adding two register symbols ain't an absolute expression for the
`.equ', so I've "botched .equ"

Now the question is, does adding two reg symbols make sense (it doesn't
to me), or is this particular case a backwards compatibility issue?  Can
someone tell me what the current hp assembler does with the above test?

Regards, Alan Modra
--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.