[parisc-linux] HOSTCC vs CC and other nits

Grant Grundler grundler@cup.hp.com
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 23:05:27 -0700

I think Phil (with help from Alex) broke kernel builds...

While trying to creatively fix the init_task_union alignment
garbage, I can't build anymore....Here's the problems:

o I don't have and don't want a native gcc.  I want to know when
  things are building for the native or cross environment.
  That means use HOSTCC (instead of $(CC)) in the Makefiles.
  I can then do "make vmlinux HOSTCC=cc".

o I don't have obj_dump. And I haven't the faintest clue
  where to find it. Could we use nm instead?

o I looked at checkalign.c and am feeling a bit confused.
  Why is the code testing for 4K alignment?
  I though the requirement was 8K alignement...

I fixed the first problem.

Here another idea for the second two:

/usr/bin/nm vmlinux |awk '/init_task_union/ {
	n = int($2); t = int(n/8192); t *= 8192;
	if (n != t) {
		print NOT
	}
	printf("0x%x vs 0x%x\n", n, t)
}' FS=\|

Perl is probably better for this kind of stuff (has "&"
operator which is missing from awk). But I'm not a very good
perl hacker...

enjoy,
grant

Grant Grundler
Communications Infrastructure Computer Operations
+1.408.447.7253