THANK YOU for the Linuxdays (fwd)

Ross J. Reedstrom reedstrm@wallace.ece.rice.edu
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 10:03:31 -0500

Frank -
Have you spent much time reading the linux-kernel mailing list? Linus is
usually little swayed by 'popular opinion' as to what features go into
the kernel. The principle criteria are that any new feature not hurt
other features, and that the quality of the code is good. This petition
drive reminds me of ~3 years ago, when some people following the GGI
(General Graphics Interface) project wanted to get the early alpha
code adopted into the mainstream kernel. In my opinion (and that of
many kernel list regulars) the 'campaign' _slowed_ acceptance, rather
than helping. In fact, the basic underlying architecture (a generic
framebuffer interface) came into the mainstream kernel from the ports
to architectures(SPARC, I seem to recall) that required it, and was
eventually adapted to the i386 architecture, as well.

So, I'm not convinced that a petition is going to help at all, and
might hurt. If Linus Torvalds has rejected the lvm patches based on 'I
don't think many people need this' (which is _not_ a usual criteria),
it might help a little, to let the developers of the LVM patches point
to as interest. But they should have download logs indicating a lot of
people grabbing the patches, which says the same thing, doesn't it? I'm
glad the patches work well for you. Be happy features like this can be
developed by third parties. Help the LVM developers create clean code
that patches in easily, and it'll end up in the kernel.

Ross

Ob.PA-RISC: Sorry my first post here is off topic. Perhaps I can
salvage that.  I've just aquired what I believe to be a HP9000 730/66
a.k.a. 'King Cobra' workstation. I haven't much time to play with it
right now, but I _will_ be following this list, and trying to get your
work up and running on it. Hopefully, this isn't too different from other
7XX machines. Anyone know of any 'gotcha's ? (Oh, and I have zero HP/UX
experience (all Irix and Linux background).