[parisc-linux] EIM register programming

Grant Grundler grundler@cup.hp.com
Sat, 04 Sep 1999 18:31:36 -0700

Philipp Rumpf wrote:
> > Of GSC devices I'm aware of, only Dino will support pcibios_fixup().
> > How would a GSC SCSI, LAN, or Graphics card driver program it's EIM
> > register?
> > (EIM is equivalent to Dino's IAR0/1 registers)
>
> Not decided yet.

Ok.

> alloc_irq is flawed and right now I think
>
> int gsc_request_irq(void *eim,
> 	void (*handler)(int, void *, struct pt_regs *),
> 	unsigned long irqflags,
> 	const char *devname,
> 	void *dev_id);
>
> might be a good idea.  return value is the number of the IRQ you
> have so you can do:
>
> 	irq = gsc_request_irq(&dino->hpa->iar0, dino_interrupt, ??, dino->name,
>    dino);
> 	if(irq < 0) {
> 		printk("%s: couldn't allocate IRQ\n" dino->name);
> 		return irq;
> 	}
> 	printk("%s: allocated IRQ %d\n", dino->name, irq);
>
> does that sound okay ?

I think it will work.
Does Dino need "irq_base" then? I guess it doesn't.

It's clear this only works for 32-bit "EIM" style devices.
It won't work for anything different and I don't really know
what's out there (graphics has a reputation for doing things
differently though I expect them to also use an EIM register.)

My general preference is to pass platform knowledge (CPU HPA/EIRR)
to the caller instead of passing device specific knowledge
(EIM address) to the service. The former lets one manage platform
knowledge as a resource (allocate/free model) and is ultimately
more flexible. The latter is OK too if the device knowledge is
for a "mature" architecture (eg PCI spec won't change much anymore).
And GSC certainly won't change anymore.

I guess what I was looking for were processor (vs bus) specific services.
The gsc_request_irq() would be a consumer of PA specific services
and I was thinking some drivers might want to directly use processor
services directly.

Other comments?

grant

Grant Grundler
Communications Infrastructure Computer Operations
+1.408.447.7253