[parisc-linux] PA-RISC boxen in Germany

Christopher Beard chris@thepuffingroup.com
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 11:54:56 -0400 (EDT)

I'm thinking that as we receive a fair amount of e-mail similar to this,
we'll be adding a section to the project pages cataloging the availability
of older hardware.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 21:47:26 +0200
From: Christoph Viethen <cv@kawo2.rwth-aachen.de>
To: cjbeard@thepuffingroup.com
Subject: PA-RISC Linux project

Hi there,

first of all, a little bit of background info. I'm studying
computer science at Aachen University, Germany, and at the
CS building they had a little pool of HP-UX machines. As far as
I know those were HP9000/720 machines --- rather slow and old,
but as far as I know those have a HP-PA CPU, right?

So now my University is trying to get rid of those machines,
together with the monitors, 13 computers altogether. Basically,
their attitude is: If nobody buys them, they'll have them
transported to the next garbage dump...

So I was considering buying one or two of them, because they will
be pretty cheap, and I was wondering whether there is an
alternative operating system for them, like Linux. So that's
how I found the http://thepuffingroup.com/parisc/ web page ...
Even if they won't work with Linux yet ... well, they're nice
X Terminals. Okay, a bit loud and energy-hungry may be, but I
can live with that.

But after seeing your web page, I also wonder: Can your project
make use of such machines? And if so, are there project members
in Germany who might be willing to get in touch with my University
and buy some?

Let me know ...

Best wishes,

  Christoph