[parisc-linux] Progress

Sun, 21 Nov 1999 18:07:29 -0500 (EST)

Hi Philipp,

> > VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
> > Warning: unable to open an initial console.
> > Attempting to execute '/sbin/init'
> > It seems to be a valid SOM executable.
> >
> > I am using the PDC_CONSOLE.  I think there was a changed needed to allow
> > opening the PDC_CONSOLE that was discussed previously.  Does anybody
> > remember?  Maybe with this change I can get to sash.
>
> edit arch/parisc/boot/boot_code/ipl_c.c and replace the "ttyS0" in the command
> line with "tty".  Alternatively, boot in interactive mode and edit the command
> line (again replacing "ttyS0" with "tty").
>
> That should get you to an (most likely unusable) shell prompt.

I am currently booting with "hpux /stand/vmunix".

This doesn't use the boot code in ipl_c.c.  Maybe the problem is the failure
in main to open "/dev/console".  Possibly, "/dev/console" is not in the ram
disk or, if it is, the kernel is not figuring out which tty to use.

> > I also need to slow down the console messages.
>
> edit arch/parisc/kernel/pdc_cons.c and put a __delay(N); in pdc_putc.  N is
> approximately the number of CPU cycles you want to wait.  I suggest placing
> it directly after the "case 'n':" as that gives you a per-line delay instead
> of a per-character one.

I tried this and it didn't work.  It looks like __delay() is broken.  The
".balignl" is clearly bogus.  I think the "addib" tests need to bew looked
at more closely.

Dave