[parisc-linux] depi?

Alan Cox alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 17:14:21 +0000 (GMT)

> Advantages of mapping the kernel at 0xc000 0000 (or 0x8000 0000/0xe000 0000)
>
>  - consistent with what the other ports do / what hardware does for the other
>    ports (MIPS)

Not consistent with what some other ports do however. That one is a non
valid argument.

>  - clear difference between user pointers and kernel pointers (this matters
>    for debugging, not for a running system)

You can stick your elf binaries at 0x80000000 for debugging

>  - clear difference between physical addresses and kernel pointers.  Think
>    about vmalloc for one reason this is a good thing.  Also I dislike the
>    idea of staring at HPMCs for hours just to find out what really happened
>    is someone forgot to set the D bit and we didn't notice until we happened
>    to hit a vmalloc area.

Phys = Virt can help you. Ultrasparc makes good use of tlb bypass bits for
this.

>  - allows us to catch NULL pointers and use large pages to map the physical
>    memory [1]

Only relevant for debug. Indeed on x86 with 4Mb maps enabled we dont do
null catches in the same way

>  - is already implemented

True

>  - conflicts with a rather obscure restriction of PA1.1 cache aliases.  As
>    Frank pointed out to me, it is only guaranteed you access the same data
>    using a physical address and a virtual address mapped to the physical if
>    the physical address is equal to the virtual address (or you are flushing
>    the cache lines in question).  I do not believe this to be a real problem
>    with any existing hardware and if it is, the performance hit of the
>    additional cache flushes may be seen as proper punishment for brain-dead
>    hardware.

The goal is to make it work well. X86 is brain dead, thats why we do the
3gig/1gig game with it.

Alan