[parisc-linux] ASP

Matthew Wilcox Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 02:23:31 +0100

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 07:24:00AM -0800, Bill Katz William" wrote:
> |Do ASP add-in cards exist?  We could just refuse to support them until
> |we know more :-)
>
> I've never heard of one, and I've also never heard of a slot that might
> support one.  SO, with 99.9% confidence, no they don't exist.

Excellent.

> If you have specific Scorpio/ASP questions, mail them to me, and I'll
> look them up in the docs.

OK, here's one...

When I don't attempt to program anything, the ASP defaults to irq 3.
Is this changeable?  What other devices can cause interrupts on Scorpio-
class machines, that don't go through ASP?

The following devices _do_ go through ASP:

EISA, 8042, SCSI, FDDI, RS232, Centronics, Ethernet, Graphics (1 + 2), Audio.

which seems pretty comprehensive.  I'm wondering about slimming down our
interrupt architecture for older machines; it's a trifle over-engineered
for a machine which can't be expanded.

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of